Often as parents we assume that our children won’t like something and so we don’t even provide the opportunity for them to make up their own minds. Such was the case with the Baby Kale Salad with Chickpeas; I made a large bowl of it thinking that I had actually made myself lunch for the week. I wasn’t even going to serve it to the rest of the family. But, when they saw it in the bowl, everyone wanted to try some! I didn’t have one leaf left for lunch the next day.
This is salad is so simple that I’m sort of embarrassed to offer it to you! Most importantly, it is WILL APPROVED (remember Will, my picky eater?) so I know you might want to give it a spin. Best of all, it is easy to put together and it goes with just about everything!
Tonight I made the salad again, took a quick picture of it in all of its micronutrient goodness, and then served it with BLT’s on sourdough toast. (I did manage to sneak a little salad aside for lunch tomorrow!) If you are busy all day with children this would be a great salad to make for dinner and then have for a couple of days for lunch. Add a little chicken to give an extra boost of protein.
Younger children may not care for the bright taste of the lemon or the unusual flavor of the feta cheese BUT they will LOVE the chickpeas! Put some of these on their plate with maybe a few baby kale leaves.
- Pre-washed baby kale (I used the baby kale/baby spinach mixture)
- Some very thin slices of red onion (to taste)
- 1 red pepper sliced thinly
- 1 12oz can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 packaged of feta cheese
- olive oil
- 1-2 lemons sliced and squeezed
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- (Don't laugh at the simplicity of these instructions. . .)
- Fill large salad bowl with baby kale/spinach--add a little more than you think you'll need.
- Add sliced red pepper, onion (or not) and chickpeas.
- Crumble feta cheese (to taste) over the top.
- Add the juice of one lemon and some olive oil (pretend you are on a cooking show and add the olive oil like they would)
- Add salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Lightly toss the salad. Add more lemon juice if needed.